Saturday, February 18, 2012

Chicken Tacos

This is actually a dish that came from my mom. It is the dinner I remember the most from when I was a kid. I'm busy all of the time and some days my prep time for meals is very limited so I am a big fan of quick and easy. So here is what you'll need:
  • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 1/2 head of cabbage finely chopped
  • 2/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 1/2 cups of sweet teriyaki cooking sauce (I prefer to use Yoshida's original.)
  • Small flour tortillas
  • Vegetable oil 
Start by mixing together the cabbage and mayonnaise in a bowl, adding salt and pepper to taste. Cover and put in the fridge while you begin cooking everything else. 


Cut chicken into 1" pieces, toss it into a skillet with the Yoshida's, and cook over medium heat.

In a separate skillet pour just enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom and heat.

After the oil is heated start by laying the tortilla out flat to get what will be the inside of the shell crispy (but not so much that when you try to shape the shell it breaks in two on you).


This is where the fancy fork work comes in (tongs are handy too, if you have them).  Flip the tortilla over. I take one fork and put it in the middle of the shell, then use the other fork to fold it over into shape. Fry it on each side poking the air bubbles down as you go along. Drain excess off and set aside on a plate as you repeat this process for as many shells you need to prepare. I usually make 8.
Afterwards fill the bottom of the shells with the cabbage mixture, then chicken, top with sour cream and your favorite taco/hot sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment